One Long Vlog, One Short Trip

Friday, March 3, 2017 - Sunday, March 5, 2017
San Diego, California

Here's the thing about college. Your breaks don't necessarily line up with your family's. Another thing. For some random reason, my family had Monday off. Which means the family was going to California. Not to be left out, I decided, I too was going to go to California. For one day. (Well, and two nights, but that's not a long time). So I made one, actually pretty long, vlog. As opposed to my normal, one vlog each day of the trip. Or wait maybe I kind of still stuck to that formula...? Hmmm.


Friday night, I took a shuttle to the airport, met my family by the gate, and jumped on a flight. After a good hour of putzing* (not official airplane jargon) around the jetway and deicing the plane, we were in the air. Those 4 hours were well spent, getting all some of my homework done. (Don't worry, I got the rest done too, relax. Just not on the flight there). 



The main reason we were going to California was not to relax. Goodness knows a 24-hour trip is not particularly relaxing. Rather, it was to visit my grandparents in San Deigo. And their cat. Who is definitely not my biggest fan. Love you too, Cleo. She also bites me in my vlog, which is, frankly, just rude. Whatever, she's beautiful and all cat-like and majestic and whatnot so it's fine.


She looks so innocent and unassuming... In other news, we had tacos from La Torta Cafe, in La Mesa. Would recommend. Be warned, portions are big, but it's so good you might just want to eat the whole thing! For dinner, we tried out a place called Garage, in downtown San Diego. There was a nice, lively feel to the place, even though it was late when we were there. A+ nightlife. It shares a bathroom with a dueling piano bar, Shout House, next door, which was intriguing... Except the bouncer wouldn't let me close enough for a good look. Next time. And by next time, I mean when I'm 21 and they would allow me in. Oh, to be young. 

My personal favorite part of the trip was conquering the Giant Dipper roller coaster in Belmont Park, by Mission Beach. Is it wooden and rickety? Ya. Did it scare the heck out of me? Yup. Do I like roller coasters? Not particularly. But do I regret it? Nope. Want to hear me scream? A lot? Watch the vlog. 


If you're looking for world's best amusement park, Disneyland is up I-5 about an hour and a half; I'd start there. But if you're in San Diego, and you've got $6 and a thirst for a thrill, look no further. Plus, it's rooted in history. I mean, this thing is old. Built in 1925 old. (They've done some restorations, don't worry. I worried. Don't. It'll be okay. Probably.)

All in all, the trip was short. I'm not sure I'd recommend one day in San Diego. Especially if you've never been there before... Still, we squeezed in some fun activities, and it was important to see Grandma and Grandpa. Special shout out to my other grandparents, in Minnesota, for picking me up at the airport and taking me out for brunch. Thank you!

See you soon,
Cristiana

*My friend Jake, who is training to become a pilot, pointed out that perhaps "putzing" wasn't the best choice of words... I believe his direct quote was "DO YOU WANT TO DIE BECAUSE YOUR PLANE COULDNT FLY BECAUSE THE ICE WOULD CHANGE THE AIR FLOW OF THE WING AND THEREFORE MAKING IT UNABLE TO FLY AND THEREFORE BEING A 70 TON ROCK FALLING FROM THE SKY. NO. YOU DON'T. it ain't putzing. YA FOOL. Love you anyways". Fair enough Jake, fair enough. Always remember the importance of deicing. 





Popular Posts