Farvel, Danmark

Saturday, March 25th - Sunday, March 26th, 2017
Copenhagen, Denmark, Amsterdam, Netherlands & Minneapolis, Minnesota

Well, Denmark. I suppose it's time to say goodbye. Or it was. I'm writing this post, already back on campus. So I guess it WAS time to say goodbye. I'm still in mourning. I could have stayed for two more weeks. 

We spent our last day in Copenhagen visiting the Church of our Savior, the Round Tower, the Lego store, the National Museum of Denmark, and a whole slew of souvenir shops. (To quote Alec: "Why do you like gift shops so much?! You just really like them." Yes. Yes, I do.) 

Day 7: Copenhagen, DK

Our very last day, Day 8, was arguably equivalent to hell. Well, okay, maybe that's an exaggeration. But we had to wake up at 3 am. The same day Denmark underwent the daylight savings time change. So it felt like 2 am. We caught an EARLY morning flight from Copenhagen to Amsterdam. Early flights are a drag anyway, but this was rendered all the more difficult by the fact that the airport wasn't even open yet... So we had no idea which gate or terminal we were in since the departure screens hadn't been updated for the day. It's all good, though, we managed to figure it out. 

Once in Amsterdam, we queued a flight to Minneapolis. (Note to anyone flying through Amsterdam in the near future. The security, especially to get back into the United States, is crazy right now. I think we went through four or five lines. Plan accordingly, time wise.) We didn't get to sit next to each other on either flight (awwww), but we both made it home. 

Day 8: Copenhagen, DK, Amsterdam, NL & Minneapolis, MN


This has been an incredible trip, and thanks again to Frida, Karla, and Tinne for hosting us! And thanks, Alec, for being a sometimes okay-ish, slightly better than mediocre, travel buddy. ;)

Farvel, 
Cristiana 

P.S. Want to follow in our footsteps? (I wouldn't, we got lost a lot.) Here's where we went.

Skt. Annae Gade 29
Copenhagen 1416
Denmark
Rated on TripAdvisor as the 3rd best thing to do in Copenhagen (at least at the time of this post), this was one of our favorite stops. For dk 35, we climbed up through the rafters and the bells and came out atop an exterior walkway. From there, we were able to climb outside to the top of the bell tower. Those little pieces of gold ornamentation you see? Ya, not ornamentation. Those are railings. That's where we were climbing. It was a bit thrilling on such a windy day. Lucky for us, got here right as it opened, so there was barely any line at all, and the tight stairways weren't crowded yet.



Koebmagergade 52A
Copenhagen 1150
Denmark
This tower was built by Christian IV; the passage wide enough so that he could take his horse and carriage up almost to the top. It wasn't as much of a thrill as The Church of Our Savior, but we earned an equally stunning view of the city. And it was only dk 25 to enter. 


Vimmelskarftet 37
Copenhagen 1161
Denmark
We had to make a stop here because Legos are Danish. They weren't selling anything you couldn't get in the states, but Alec bought a set anyway. How often can you buy Legos in their home country? 

Prinsens Palais
Copenhagen 1220
Denmark
We ended up going here on a whim. We hadn't planned anything for our afternoon, and it was nearby, and not outrageously expensive for a pair of college kids. It ended up being one of my favorite stops. I hope I have the chance to go back and keep exploring. With everything from old Viking instruments, and salvaged Catholic art (rare in a protestant country), dollhouses, and a Christiania marijuana stall, I found their collection to be unique, enticing, and wide-ranging. 


Popular Posts