"Denmark: The Beginning" or "My Good High School Friend Alec"

Sunday, March 19, 2017 - Monday, March 20, 2017
Minneapolis, MN, Skørping, DK, & Everything Inbetween


Ahhhh Spring Break. The long-awaited reprieve from the late winter blues, and piles of work waiting at school or the office. For some, it means a relaxing stay-cation at home, or nights out with old friends. For others, it means a family trip or hitting the beach. For Alec and I, it means going to Denmark to visit our good friend, Frida. 

Two names, two introductions. If you page back in the blog, to approximately this time last year, you might find that I've mentioned Alec before. (By "might" I mean you will.) Alec is a good friend from high school, and last year, he and our pals Celeste and Keaton, all joined me and my family in Italy. Serendipitously, (hee hee I really just could've used a simpler word there... but where's the fun in that?) our breaks lined up this year too. Which leads to... FRIDA! Frida is my third cousin once removed. Sure, you laugh. It's distant. But it's important to me that everyone knows we're family. She came to live with my family two years ago as an exchange student. 

Alec and I are taking quite the adventure! We'll see how it goes... independent European travel and all. Follow our every move (not really but some of the interesting ones) in the vlogs! Starting with Day 1, which is pretty much us just getting on the plane...


Day 2 is a good length but also has some plot holes because, honestly, I was too tired to film everything we did this afternoon. 


Here are some things I didn't vlog, but that happened. Tinne, Frida's mom, picked Alec and I up from the Aalborg airport. The flight from Amsterdam was quick. And they gave us yummy little pound cakes to eat. A+ KLM. After we went to look at the horses, I set an alarm to nap for a half hour, then napped for a full hour, and was awoken, not by my alarm, but by Alec and Frida's cat, Tilde. 



The cat was meowing loudly over her catch of the day, a mouse... Yes, she did bring it into the house, and yes, she did eat the whole thing. (So I'm told... I was asleep...) Meanwhile, Alec was trying to catch the cat... I'm not sure what his game plan was? To take the half eaten mouse out of her mouth? To put her outside? I'll ask Alec in the morning and report back. 


Frida, Karla, and Tinne got home around 2:30 pm, and we took some time to catch up. Until at some point, without realizing it, I fell asleep again? Frida woke me up in time for dinner, though, in the stables of an old farmhouse. The whole community goes to eat dinner there, Monday through Thursday. After dinner, to keep us awake, we decided to watch a very fitting movie for our current setting. Any guesses? It was The Danish Girl. It was sad and good. What a full day. Plus all the stuff that I actually DID include in the vlog. Phew. 

Sweet dreams, 
Cristiana 

Popular Posts