Jazz and WWII (This is not a synthesis essay I promise)

Sunday, May 28th & Monday, May 29th, 2017
New Orleans, LA & Minneapolis, Minnesota

New Orleans was a beautiful city, and I was so glad to be able to visit. The vibrancy and quirkiness is like nowhere else I've ever gone. It was bright and colorful and loud, and still someplace very real. Learning about the history of the city, however brief, in three days, was one of my favorite parts of the trip. We packed a lot in.



5099 Louisiana Highway 18
Wallace, LA
70049
The Whitney Plantation is focused on the lives of its enslaved people, as a museum. The experience was moving, and extremely educational. Our guide was very knowledgeable and open to all questions. They manage to facilitate a conversation about race and the dark history of slavery quite gracefully. I would encourage anyone in the area to visit.


930 Tchoupitoulas St
New Orleans, LA
70130
We had lunch here, and it served (for lack of a better word in my limited culinary vocabulary) artisan southern food. It was quite pricey, and the portions were a bit small, so be warned. But the food was very good, so if you're able, I wouldn't let that deter you. 

Bourbon St
New Orleans, LA
Bourbon Street is what I think of when I think New Orleans. Mardis Gras beads, loud jazz in every bar, booze, voodoo shops... It's very touristy, and you'll see lots of drunk people, so if that's not something you enjoy, maybe stay clear. But there is something kinda fun about embracing the craziness for what it is. I for one had a great time. (*Fun Fact: At 18, you can order alcohol in a restaurant, if you're with your parents, but most bars on Bourbon Street don't allow you to drink, or even enter if you're under 21.)


725 Iberville St
New Orleans, LA
70130
We stopped here to listen to some really great jazz music our last evening. It's right near Bourbon Street, so you're still where the action's at, but the bar itself is more of a true bar and less of a club. 

945 Magazine St
New Orleans, LA
70130
This is ranked top attraction in New Orleans and 4th best museum in the US. Which is odd, because I'd never heard of it before. (And full disclosure, I had a soft spot for both museums and WWII.) We didn't have a whole lot of time in the city, so we weren't sure if we wanted to spend our last day in Nola at a WWII museum... Well, I was sure. And so was Dad. And soon Mom and Grady were on board too. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian and is built in an old factory where they built the D-Day ships. I was very impressed with the integration of technology and actual objects. It was really well done, and I'm so glad we didn't miss it. My only complaint is that it was so big, and knowing which building to go to, and where everything was, was a bit confusing and hard to navigate.



All in all, it was a fun trip. New Orleans isn't my new top favorite, but it was very fun, and I can't wait to come back and keep exploring. I think I'll need to do a swamp tour next time?

See you soon,
Cristiana 


Popular Posts