Casablanca: More than a 1942 Romantic Drama

Friday, June 2nd, 2017 - Saturday, June 3rd, 2017
Minneapolis, MN & Amsterdam, NL

Hello, everyone!
If you're a first timer to the blog, welcome. Check out the about me page, and feel free to explore old posts. If you're returning, welcome back.


Another day, another new adventure. This time, the family is trying to get to Morocco. With Morocco, I'm personally feeling just a little out of my element. I don't know a whole lot about the country, and I'm worried about really standing out as a Westerner. (Although I've heard it's a popular vacation destination for Europeans and home to a few expats.)

Morocco inspires in many images from the 1942 Humphery Bogart film, Casablanca. (I have never seen Casablanca, but given that it was shot entirely in California and was made in the 1940s, I'd guess it's not an all-that-accurate portrayal of Moroccan culture.) If you're like me, and you've spent some time studying French or Francophone culture, you might know they speak some French, thanks to an earlier time of French colonialism. (In 1912, it was divided between the French and Spanish, and regained its independence in 1953.) The official languages (I believe - correct me if I'm wrong) are Arabic and Amazigh/Tamazight. Because of its French and Spanish protectorates and its proximity to Europe, and its positioning in Northern Africa, near the Sahara, I'm excited to see how the cultures have shaped and influenced each other in this country.

But as of right now, I am sitting in the Amsterdam Schipol Airport, 2,816 km (I'm too tired to convert that to miles - the internet here knows I'm in Europe and insists on using km) away from Casablanca. I'm still a few hours, and two flights (one to Paris, and one to Casablanca) away. So for now, I'm sitting here typing, on questionable airport Wifi. (As far as airport Wifi goes, I'd give Amsterdam Schipol's a 10/10 in coverage, but only 6/10 in reliability. Use this information as you will.)



Because of, you know, time changes, I decided to drink some green tea because caffeine. And then I realized I don't really like green tea. :( Correction: I don't like this green tea. I didn't know there were some green teas that I liked and some that I didn't but I guess there are and that's just too much for me to handle when I'm this jetlagged. I think I'll just grab a Coke. This is where I'm at. Hopefully, I'll get some vlogs up soon, so you can see all our adventures. But until then, enjoy this picture of my bad green tea.



Next stop, France! I guess "we'll always have Paris", amirite?
Love and hugs,
Cristiana

Popular Posts