Turns out, San Francisco is not spelled "San Fransisco"
Saturday, June 23rd - Sunday, June 24th, 2018
Minneapolis, MN & San Francisco, CA
Before last weekend, I had never been to San Francisco. Most of what I know about it comes from an escape from Alcatraz episode of MythBusters.
Any other knowledge comes mostly from The Mowgli's song San Francisco, which really, doesn't talk a whole lot about San Francisco... What can I say? I'm basically a San Fran expert.
I thought you might want to watch it, so here's the 5 min clip. You're soooo welcome!
Any other knowledge comes mostly from The Mowgli's song San Francisco, which really, doesn't talk a whole lot about San Francisco... What can I say? I'm basically a San Fran expert.
With all that San Francisco knowledge just burning a hole in my pocket, Mom, Grady and I hopped on a plane. And wow, super convenient, who also happened to be in the Bay Area? My, hmmm... dear, dear, acquaintance, Aaron. Since we were both so serendipitously, and randomly, in the same city, we decided we had better explore it together.
What did we discover?
What did we discover?
1. The Ferry Building Marketplace was busy and exciting. I'm not an orange fan, but Aaron tells me the oranges he sampled were amazing! So fresh produce? Check! Free samples? Check! That's about all you really need at a farmers' market, but wait, there's more! Handcrafted jewelry? Check! Beautiful view of the Bay Bridge, if bay bridges are your thing? Check!
2. San Francisco is home to the Museum of Ice Cream. I don't know about you, but I am an ice cream fanatic. But, woe of woes, it was an hour wait to get in... No thank you. (But one day I'll come back for you, Museum of Ice Cream!)
3. Every city has a Disney Store and San Francisco is no exception. Did you know they are currently carrying adult-sized Incredibles super suits? Yes, I know, you're all Googling your nearest Disney Store now. (Sure seems lucky, in light of this new information, that they're in every city!)
2. San Francisco is home to the Museum of Ice Cream. I don't know about you, but I am an ice cream fanatic. But, woe of woes, it was an hour wait to get in... No thank you. (But one day I'll come back for you, Museum of Ice Cream!)
3. Every city has a Disney Store and San Francisco is no exception. Did you know they are currently carrying adult-sized Incredibles super suits? Yes, I know, you're all Googling your nearest Disney Store now. (Sure seems lucky, in light of this new information, that they're in every city!)
Look at all the Incredibles II paraphernalia!
4. If you're in the mood for lemon meringue pancakes, a "Peasant Lorraine Flat Omelette" (bacon leeks, shallot, asparagus, gruyere and lorraine swiss), or the best crispy breakfast potatoes you've ever had ever, you need to go to MyMy. Ya, we had to wait in a bit of a line, but I can tell you we got seated faster than we would have gotten into the Museum of Ice Cream. (Translation: The wait wasn't bad and it was worth it!)
5. The Cable Cars are a little (though not 100%) touristy, and they are SO MUCH FUN!!! Not the fastest way to travel, but whom amongst us hasn't wanted to hang off a moving vehicle? This is probably the only vehicle I've ridden where the rule wasn't "keep your hands, arms, legs, and feet inside the moving vehicle at all times". It was more like, "Don't lean out too far, or you'll hit a car".
6. And while we're on the subject of cable cars, we had to wait in a looooong line. It's a trap. Don't do it. You don't need to wait! There is a ticket booth right by the first stop, Market Street. Now, if you want to watch them turn around the cars (kinda cool), by all means, wait in line. But, if you're over it, go up just one block to the first stop, Ellis, and get on there. You won't have to wait an hour, and you can just fork over $7.00 in cash.
Cable Car Map
7. The Powell/Mason line will take you right down to Fisherman's Wharf, which is right by a chocolate lover's heaven, Ghirardelli Square! Free samples?! Ummm, yes, please!!! Completely over the top sundaes?! Ummm, yes, please!!! For $12?! ... *cricket sounds*... For real though, Ghirardelli was founded in San Francisco, and is the 3rd oldest chocolate company in the world! And really, it's a crime not to try a local delicacy ;)
Look how excited I am for chocolate
8. The beach right across the street from Ghiradelli Square is a beautiful spot to watch the sunset and catch a glimpse of the Golden Gate Bridge (if it's not too foggy...) or to watch small toddlers chase seagulls! Your choice.
This picture has neither the bridge nor any toddlers in it
9. If you walk to Fisherman's Wharf, and you're looking carefully, you might just run into the Musée Mécanique, an antique penny arcade! (Here's their website but I'm going to tell you right now, it's horrible. Horrible. Completely discouraging. Just read the TripAdvisor entry instead. The arcade is much better than their website, I promise.) All the machines take quarters, and there are a lot of change machines inside. I wanted to trade in a $20 bill... Aaron wanted to trade in $2. We compromised with $3. Which, was about enough for the both of us to play a few games.
Look at these little mechanical puppets
10. It's really hard to find the streetcar stop at Fisherman's Wharf, or at least it was for Aaron and I. We gave up and Ubered.
11. Uber is super cheap in California. A little more supply than demand, ya know? (This is an Aaron fact and I have no real evidence to support it, other than anecdotal)
12. I don't normally post a whole lot about the hotels we stay at since I don't normally spend a whole lot of time in them. But Aaron and I did do some exploring, and I have to say, the fitness center at the Marriott Marquis was *wow*. (Except no pool so -10 points from Gryffindor.) The view from the hotel bar is also supposed to be amazing, but we ran out of time to check it out.
13. We were there over Pride weekend, and the hotel was right on the parade route! San Fran knows how to celebrate! It was fun and inspiring to see all the people out to celebrate and raise awareness.
In sum:
I did not take enough pictures, San Francisco is not spelled San Fransisco, and it is a good place to visit.
XO,
Cristiana
Cristiana, Grady, and Lisa at Pride (pc to Aaron. Thanks!)
In sum:
I did not take enough pictures, San Francisco is not spelled San Fransisco, and it is a good place to visit.
XO,
Cristiana





