Jer Says Hi and I Become a Hanger

Wednesday, July 27th, 2017 - Saturday, July 29th, 2017
Glacier National Park & Columbia Falls MT

Are you ready?! Since we've last touched base, Grady hiked a mountain, we swam in glacier water, and we named a fish "Dinner". Don't feel shy to watch the videos - these ones are short!

On Wednesday, half of us went to Polebridge. If you're unfamiliar with Polebridge, you're probably not alone. It's a little community about 35 miles west of Columbia Falls, best known for its baked goods. It's home to a saloon, a mercantile, a beach volley ball court, a fruit stand, a couple bathrooms, and some cabins. 


You may have noticed that I said only half of our group went to Polebridge. That's because Dad, Grady, Joel, and Theresa decided to hike Mont Oberlin. As far as mountain climbing goes, it's relatively mild. As far as hiking goes, it's a lot of vertical feet... These guys woke up at 7:00 am to drive up Logan Pass before the crowds and reach the trail head. I climbed Oberlin last year, and I have to say it was one of my favorite hikes, and the view is spectacular. But since I wasn't feeling it this time around, you'll have to hear what Grady says about it. 


In between hikes, we managed to find some time to swim! (A camping staple.) Some things about the lakes in Glacier... They were formed by glaciers... Meaning, THEY ARE COLD! And they're rocky. But the views cannot be beaten, and the environment is not very hospitable to plant life, so no weeds. Don't let the rocks or cold temperatures dissuade you. Swimming in Lake McDonald is always a favorite.  


Now you might be wondering, "Has Cristiana gotten into any shenanigans on this trip?" Well dear, and loyal blog reader, the answer is yes. I personally am not a huge fan of sleeping. (I swear this is relevant.) Now take my natural aversion to sleeping, place me in a cold tent, with a thin, inflatable sleeping mat through which I can feel the rocky ground, and you have a very uncomfortable Cristiana. On the other hand, take a sleep deprived Cristiana, that same sleeping mat, and a hammock... It's a recipe for a good night's sleep... If the bears stay away. 


These short videos don't even cover half the fun we've had. We went to farmer's markets, swung in the hammocks, played cards, roasted s'mores, made cotton candy, went shopping, sang in Lake McDonald Lodge, ate at good restaurants... It's hard to believe the trip is almost over. Tomorrow, Dad and I are heading home, and Grady and Amelia are going to camp on Flathead Lake. Have fun girls! 

Until next trip, 
Cristiana

Popular Posts