Mother Daughter in Mexico
Thursday, February 2nd, 2017 - Sunday, February 5th, 2017
Cancun, Mexico
Mom and I decided to take advantage of a week-long break from school and hit Mexico for a mother daughter trip. Mom and I have been planning a trip for just the two of us for, ummm I don't know, probably two years. And this year, we finally did it! On my birthday too!
So on February 2nd AKA Groundhog's Day AKA Chandeleur AKA my birthday, we took to the airport to fly to Cancun. My favorite part was just getting to relax and spend some quality time with my Mom. For a play-by-play, watch Vlogs Days 1-4, below.
Cancun is known for being a hot tourist destination, and they have a long hotel zone. The place has an almost Vegas feel (if Vegas had a beach) with hotels, expensive stores, clubs, and casinos. We stayed at Sandos Resort, and we got a great rate, especially for an all-inclusive. Regardless, I'd probably have to give the resort a 6/10. Which begs the question, why? Let's start with the good. It was right on the beach, the staff were all very nice, it was all-inclusive, it was clean and aesthetically pleasing, and we got a good rate.
The food also cannot be taken for granted. Sometimes all inclusive have very mediocre food, because it's, well, all-inclusive. The food at Sandos was surprisingly good and being all inclusive, we didn't have to worry about paying for every single drink, or meal. They had four or five restaurants and my personal favorite was their Benihana-style Japanese grill. Phew. Lots of pros. But here's the flip side.
When we checked in, they couldn't find our reservation. To be fair, we'd booked it only that morning, and through a third party website. Then, we were placed in a room right underneath a bunch of construction. This hotel can't control that they're having construction, but our room was right under the construction. I swear they were pounding on our ceiling. Plus, our welcome letter was addressed to another family...? But hey, there was a free bottle of wine and a mini bar stocked with candy and drinks.
We ended up having to ask to change rooms, and what do you know, they found us a room without construction. Thank you. Except this room's minibar was half empty... Not only that, but the phone didn't work. We had to walk down to the front desk no less than THREE times, and then they told us that they could get it fixed the next day...
Service out by the beach was hit and miss. One day, the waiter would be around six times to take our drink order and the next day, they'd only be around once. Not a big deal, because you can easily walk up to the bar, but when you're paying for beach-side service, it's a little frustrating when it doesn't happen.
Also. Also. NO CONDITIONER! But that one's maybe on me because, in my experience, hotels outside of the US don't consistently have conditioner. I usually bring some, but alas, I forgot mine at home.
And finally, a word to the wise. Do not try to sneak a guest into your room, even if they have a day pass. They will get caught, and you will get repeated calls from the front desk at 12 am, and a knock on your door. And they will hang an additional $400 fee over your head. Not that I'm speaking from experience.........
But all in all, it was a much needed relax on the beach. I got some sun and some sea air. I caught up on all my pleasure reading and got my hair wet. Thank you thank you thank you for such a great trip Mom!
xo, Cristiana


